Monday, June 29, 2009

The bug bites continue

Here we are, another week come and come in the land of Guatemala. This week went by very quick, and we got a lot accomplished despite the fact that it has rained everyday without fail. I didn't know it was possible to rain this much. I have been proven wrong.

I'm starting to really get the hang of things here. I've finally found some projects that I really enjoy, and feel like I am starting to make a difference (or at least I'm feeling like I'm not just a burden anymore, which is great). My favorite is when I get to interact and talk with the people here, rather than just at them. I am working on starting up a family gardening program with an organization here, where I will go out to surrounding villages to teach about square foot gardening (a type of gardening that saves time, money, water, and space) and nutrition to the women of the community. It will take a while to get set up, but I think it will be really fun and make a lasting impact. I've also done more work with theater work with the orphans, have done a little with adove stove building, and this week I've started to teach english and art classes in a HIV orphanage and with community children. Fun huh?? I've realized more and more that the solution to the world's problems comes through a good education, and its funny to think that I am the teacher making this change when I feel like I know so little.

As for free time, this week was incredible. We took a vacation day Friday, drove 7 or so hours to a beautiful place called Semuk Champe (sp?), were we played in these crystal, clear blue natural water pools in the middle of the rain forest. The next day we drove a couple more hours and went zip lining through the rainforest for an hour and a half or so. Finally on Sunday we spent the day in Tikal, one of the worlds largest Mayan ruin community. It was AMAZING! I can't even begin to describe how astounding it was. Perhaps when I finally bring my camera in I'll put the pictures up. I really need to get cracking on that one. Until next time!

1 comment: