Monday, July 6, 2009

Another week come and gone. I can't believe it! This week will mark my one-month aniversary. Just 1 and a half left! Strange. This week went really well. I have set projects that I am in charge of, and it feels great. I feel like I have a place and purpose here, and continually hope I am actually making a difference (I'd say so... but lets not brag about it :) ). I am officially teaching after school English classes at a tiny village called Sera Alto which is SO fun, I'm running art projects at the HIV orphanage Madre Hogar, work with theater work, English, and Art at GCP, and this week am starting up square foot family gardening (hopefully!). Not too shabby, eh? I love these people to say the least! I'm also happy I am here with the program I am with, because I honestly don't know if I could handle doing the same thing day after day after day. With HELP, I get to do different projects nearly every day, yet still have set projects so we get to know the individual people and see changes in their lives. I would go crazy if I only worked in one orphanage or one organization, and would probably get sick of all the kids. But this way, we can just leave when we reach our limit and come back refreshed and rejuvinated. Its quite nice.

Along with all of this, Fridays are reserved for group projects with all of the volunteers from HELP, so that we can interact with eachother more and get a small change of scene. This week we worked with Habitat again, but it was a different house this time. I liked it a lot because it was the first day of work, so there was a lot to do to get things ready. We tore down a brick wall, leveled the dirt, and dug trenches for the foundation. Man, this type of work is fulfilling!

As for this weekend, there were all sorts of adventures. I went with a couple of people to Antigua for a day trip Saturday, and boughyt some pretty fun souvenirs, including a beautiful oil painting that cost about $22 in American money. I got the price from Q350 to Q180, so I was quite proud of my purchase.

In other news, we had a little blip with safety this week. Three of our girls got their money stolen on a Volcano hike this weekend, so that was pretty scary. But we know for a fact that they were protected from the big man upstairs. I personally feel that love and protection everyday being here. I feel everyone's prayers for me, and am so grateful for them. I know that as I teach and protect God's children, he in return will protect me. Know that we do everything in our power to keep our group safe, and that I personally feel safe and secure. Don't worry too much :)

That's about it for this week. On a side note I'll have you all know that I was going to download some pictures today, but my memory card didn't fit into the card reader. But I tried! Maybe I'll get those up sometime this week...

No comments:

Post a Comment